MTLnews

I usually use the blade of a metal hacksaw, and cut a small groove on the
ring. In order to not damage the pipe, I cut down enough to not touch the
pipe, and then use a flat head screwdriver, and insert in the cut and twist.
At that point the brass is soft and thin, that it usually just snaps off.
Then use some emery cloth (or sand paper), and clean the pipe well to assure
no minor deformaties.

Also when doing it, and in a super rush, I've occasionally just wrapped some
teflon tape around the old ring, and reused it. Haven't had any problems
with it either. I prefer removing them since it only takes a minute or
two...

Good Luck

"Walter R." wrote in message
I am replacing the shut-off valve under my sink. A compression fitting
connects the valve to the 1/2 inch copper line.

How do I get the old compression ring and old compression nut off the

copper
line? Is there a special tool for it? Or, can I just re-use the old
compression ring?

Thanks

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net