HorneTD

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Robert Barr wrote:

I have never trusted stranded wire connetions. I've seen too many go
bad (mainly from corrosion over time) & cause problems. I solder. It
takes a few extra minutes, but in my view, it's always worth it.

Note, however, that the National Electrical Code requires that a mechanical
fastener (such as a wire nut) must be used _in_addition_ to the solder.
A connection made by solder alone is a Code violation.

--
Regards,

Can you quote me chapter and verse on that assertion. I am unaware of
any such provision in the code except that "Connections depending solely
on solder shall not be used" in attaching Equipment Grounding Conductors
to boxes. A splice that is made up mechanically and then soldered is
perfectly acceptable as is shown by the reference in 250.148 to 110.14.

250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to
Boxes.
Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on
equipment within or supported by a box, any separate equipment grounding
conductors associated with those circuit conductors shall be spliced or
joined within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use.
Connections depending solely on solder shall not be used. Splices shall
be made in accordance with 110.14(B) except that insulation shall not be
required. ...

110.14 Electrical Connections.
Because of different characteristics of dissimilar metals, devices such
as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs
shall be identified for the material of the conductor and shall be
properly installed and used. Conductors of dissimilar metals shall not
be intermixed in a terminal or splicing connector where physical contact
occurs between dissimilar conductors (such as copper and aluminum,
copper and copper-clad aluminum, or aluminum and copper-clad aluminum),
unless the device is identified for the purpose and conditions of use.
Materials such as solder, fluxes, inhibitors, and compounds, where
employed, shall be suitable for the use and shall be of a type that will
not adversely affect the conductors, installation, or equipment.

(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices
identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a
fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or
joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder
and then be soldered.

--
Tom H