Brian G wrote:
wrote:
Brian G wrote:

Phil,

In my experience, there is only ONE way to treat *true* dry rot -
and that is to be drastic.

Very briefly:

Remove and replace ALL timber within the infection area and upto 3
feet (1metre) away from the last signs of the infection and burn

it
- even if its not showing signs of dry rot.

binbags are somewhat more convenient disposal I find.

Great until the spores spread the rot around a little.

dry rot spores in landfill are not a problem. By the time you remove a
roomful of rotten wood, the spores are all over the place already. It
is not the spores that are the prime problem, it is damp.

Properly treat ALL the wall on the exposed parts with the correct
chemical solution.

no need. No plant life can survive being dried out.

Dry rot actually sucks the moisture out of what it is infecting

all plant life does that. All plant life can not take up sufficient
moisture to survive when its environment is too dry. This is qiute
basic stuff.

- so even if
you cure the damp you've still got to kill the mycelium.

no

you dont work for one of these ripoff companies do you?

Nope, just retired from a building maintenance environment where as a
chippie and a general formeman I had the dubious honour of working on

well
over fifty houses infected with various levels of dry rot.

So you did work for companies that did the kind of treatment you
advocate?

As a matter of interest, I have seen new floors and windows

replaced
in a house where the dry rot had not been properly treated, and
these lasted all of two years before needing to be done again - it
was expensive as the rot had progressed to other areas as well.

of course, if you dont fix the damp, that will happen.

The damp was fixed in the original area - but someone (not I) took

the
decison that the rot wasn't bad enough to go the whole hog.

looks like it wasnt

Sounds like someone's been talking to a dry rot treatment salesmen.
This advice is quite off track, and the facts wrong.

Talking to the tech-reps (not salesmen)

a tech rep is not a salesman? Rep means representative.

and the bodies that actually did the
spraying along

who obviously also have heavy financial incentives, ie a very biased
viewpoint

with a few experts NOT connected with the dry-rot companies -
we had a whole department of these hanging on 'coat-hangers' just

waiting
for us to call on their services.

impartial expert advice is available.

It can be difficult to get a shower room dry if you have several
people taking showers. The best solution to this is a humidistatic
dehumidifier.

I've yet to see a dehumidifier completely dry a room where there is a
constant dampness and not hermetically sealed.

Strange, I've not seen them have any problem. One of the risks of
dehumidifiers is that people can be tempted to get a cheaper non
humidistatic one and end up drying everything to a crisp.

NT