Ed Huntress

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message

Sounds like the train rides mighta been pretty long! Lotsa reading??!!

Well, I lived in Princeton for the first couple of those years. That was
2-1/2 hours, door-to-door. Sheesh. Then I moved to Metuchen. That's a
35-minute train ride into Penn Station NY, and then a ten-minute walk and
ride up the 6th Ave. subway, to Rockefeller Center. That's where _American
Machinist_ was located in those days. A very classy location, across the
street from Radio City and next door to TIME-Life.

Was this in your Mount Vernon days?

Oh, no. I left Mount Vernon when I was nine years old. You could still walk
on the streets at night in those days. It really was Westchester then.

The only thing I have encountered in the summer that is worse than a heat
treater's shop is a foundry. We got one in Queens, about the only one

left.
Talk about hell on earth... goodeffinggawd... And the noise!!!
Oh, and add, to this ambiance, the fact that drug dealers&friends use the
sidewalks during the summer the way you and I would use a beach--replete

w/
towels, coolers, and rinse-offs under the nearest fire hydrant..

They're bad, but the one I hate is diecasting shops when they're really
cooking. One of my co-editors compared them to Dante's Inferno.

Metallurgy is just too goddamm complicated!

It's not easy, but the practical stuff with steel really *is* fairly easy.
You don't need metallurgy to heat-treat steel. You just need some good
instructions and a little practice. But, unless you're an expert cook, stick
to the cookbook.

--
Ed Huntress