Mark

Nexus7 wrote:
I have some new wiring runs and was doing some checking before
connecting to mains when I discovered that a 9V battery was pushing

25
or so micro-amps down a circuit that was supposed to be open, as
nothing was plugged into the GFCI outlets and and lamp sockets were
also empty. This was causing a reduction in voltage due to the

battery
being loaded. Looking further, I found that each GFCI (there are 3 in
parallel in this circuit) had continuity from live to neutral and
showed a resistance of about 360 Ohms on a DMM, causing about 120

Ohms
at the end that is supposed to go into the breaker panel. The GFCIs

are
made by Pass & Seymour (also says Legrand on the box). Their website
doesn't address this issue. These are their "premium" line and have

an
LED on the front. A Leviton GFCI without any LED shows an open

between
the live and neutral.

I don't know if all the GCFIs I bought can be simultaneously

defective;
or whether the LED or their current monitoring circuit us causing the
continuity. 360 Ohms seems an awfully low resistance to show to 120V
AC. Is the behavior under DC different than AC for a GFCI outlet?

Seems
pretty spooky...

you might be seeing the load of the internal power supply inside the
GFI that power the GFI itself.

the DMM is probably seeing the completly discharged filter cap inside
the GFI which will charge up and draw less current when you connect it
to the AC line.

Mark