Ted Edwards

Eide wrote:
I'm thinking of forging up some caulking irons for some boatbuilding
friends. Any idea what type of steel they're made of?

I would make them from OCS (Old Chevy Spring). Actually, Chevy just
sounds good. Any car/truck springs work well. Choose coil or leaf
depending on the final shape you want.

After my mechanic son-in-law broke three of Snap-On's biggest and best
cold chisels, I forged, hardened and tempered him one from a piece of
truck coil spring. This was about ten years ago. I checked with him
recently and he thinks it will need sharpening "soon".

A piece of leaf spring TIG'd into a slot cut in the end of a piece of
pipe made a great chisel for knocking lumps (from knot-holes in the
forms) of concrete.

Ted