Harold and Susan Vordos

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:39:00 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

It's the little Dayton one, model 4TJ96. The manual disagrees with your
method, it says "Firmly seat back of blade against back alignment surface
of welder jaw and clamp blade tight with the jaw clamping handle."

The instructions for both of my blade welders say to put the teeth at
the back. Including the Stryco. Shrug.

That's the way the DoAll works as well. That way the teeth don't lose set
when the clamps are tightened on the blade. That may not be necessary for a
welder that does only one width, but the DoAll I own is capable of welding
various widths of blades.

For my setup, a hacksaw wouldn't have solved any of the problems. The
alignment surface, which is cast brass, had years of use and abuse. So much
that the entire length of the jaws had been chewed away from contact with
the teeth when morons dragged the blade against the back stop instead of
slipping it without cutting the surface. The damage done was not uniform,
so the two jaws formed an arc instead of a straight line. By making a
rigid setup on the mill, I was able to resurface both the back and bottom
faces with an end mill, restoring the jaws to a like new condition.

Harold