Doug Miller

In article , Bert Byfield wrote:
I have never trusted stranded wire connetions. I've seen too many go
bad (mainly from corrosion over time) & cause problems. I solder. It
takes a few extra minutes, but in my view, it's always worth it.

Note, however, that the National Electrical Code requires that a
mechanical fastener (such as a wire nut) must be used _in_addition_ to
the solder. A connection made by solder alone is a Code violation.

What about electrical tape wrapped around a soldered connection? Is that a
"mechanical fastener"?

No.

It insulates the connection, at least.

That's not the point. The Code requires that the connection be mechanically
and electrically secure even _without_ the solder. You can't achieve that with
tape.

--
Regards,