Dave Hinz

On 5 Apr 2005 07:42:12 -0700, Charlie Self wrote:
Dave Hinz notes:
Hm. I put them in the same category as spyware advertisers, virus

writers, and microsoft developers. But I repeat myself.

I got a letter this morning from a woman writer in India, offering me,
as editor (which I am not), her production. At 2 cents per word.

I don't know for sure it's spam, but I cannot imagine how she got my
name as an editor, unless she's grabbing lists from everywhere and
mailing off the same clip and resume to them all.

Well, if it's unsolicited, and commercial, and email, then that's
spammy enough for me. It might be _targeted_ spam, but what you
have there still seems like an oddly gelatinous pork-derived meat
extract product to me.

For the uninitiated, 2 cents a word in the U.S. is an insult. Half a
buck a word is barely enough to let you make a living. So now we have
some new spamming for outsourcing, of technology writing, at less than
5% of a sensible rate.

Isn't that wonderful.

A wondrous thing. I think not. Of course, this time it gored my ox.

spamcop.net has a good free spam reporting tool that non-members can
use; not only reports to the ISP, but to the upstream, and helps
to populate known spam account/domain lists. If nothing else, you can
use it to learn how to parse the headers to see which ones are
real, which are fake, and how to find out where it's really really from.

Dave