Denis Marier

When the Danish oil has been heavily applied and not wipe after 10 - 15
minutes it will start to jelled to a tacky surface. Leaving this coating
to dry will not improve the finish of the surface and may create some lumps
and still remain sticky. At time when I apply the Danish oil and someone
calls me on the phone I over exceeds the 10 -15 minutes. When I come back
to it I use solvent to remove the tacky oil. If the Danish oil has been
left more than a day without wiping I remove the hard sticky finish with
mechanical devices and start over. The mechanical devices maybe open coat
sand paper, medium to fine steel wool or a scraper.
One person can handle the coating timing when doing wood turning items.
When doing large wood object like bookcases and the likes two persons is
better. One applies the Danish oil and the second person wipes according to
the scheduled time.

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Harry B. Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I think I'm suffering

from
impatience. The bowl was quite dry, it was a blank from Woodcraft. I put

the
Watco on while sitting at my kitchen table so the room was comfortably

warm.
I kept the bowl 'shiny wet' for the better part of an hour before wiping

off
the excess. On the can it says it dries in ten hours. The following

morning
it was quite a bit dryer but you could still smell it. It is a little

better
today.

I plan to use the Beall buffing system on it and am reluctant to rub
anything into the surface until it is quite a bit dryer. Like I said,

I'm
probably impatient.

There's the problem. You overapplied. Inside trying, outside drying will
prolong the process quite a bit.

If you're going to buff, wait a couple weeks, or until a close sniff

doesn't
overwhelm.