Grant Erwin

Robert Swinney wrote:

Why bother? Ships haven't used riveted construction, needing upset
caulking, for many years. Old boilers, maybe.

Bob Swinney
"Bugs" wrote in message
oups.com...

Get some leaf springs from a wrecking yard. They will last forever with
a good hardening & tempering, I have rock chisels I made forty years
ago still in excellent condition. Oil harden & draw to light blue
spring temper. Any harder & the striking face could chip.
Bugs

Up here in Puget Sound there are still many many wooden fishing boats
which have to be brought into drydock periodically, scraped down, re-caulked
and repainted. They still use caulking irons to drive the oakum between the
boards as far as I know.

Maybe we're talking about two different things - terminology can be difficult
around marine issues.

GWE