Tom

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
Hi,

I have about 60 sandstone blocks from and old church wall.

I'd like to cut the blocks in two. I intend to use them to face a low

garden
retaining wall, using concrete infill behind.

I'm looking at using an angle grinder and a 230mm diamond abrasive disk to
cut them, but I'm not sure it would be up to the job. Also the disks seem
to vary in price from ten quid to hundreds.

Can anyone suggest a disk type/brand/supplier that would do this job.

Thanks, Steve.

Hi Steve.
Many years ago(1967?), I had a load of stone from an old demolished church
delivered, approx 30tons if I remember rightly. they came from the inner
lining of the church and were in slabs approx 15ins x 18-24ins x 4-6ins and
were cream in colour. I found out from my local university that they were
oolitic limestone . I spent many happy hours cutting them into bricks using
a bolster and club hammer and built walls, gate pillars etc. The stone was
quite soft and was relatively easy to cut but seemed to harden on exposure
to weather over a period of years.
It may be that you will also find that if your stone slabs are relatively
thin and have a homogeneous structure they might break evenly after scoring
with a bolster, just a suggestion.
Good luck
Tom