AlexW

Steve Jones wrote:
Hi,

I have about 60 sandstone blocks from and old church wall.

I'd like to cut the blocks in two. I intend to use them to face a low garden
retaining wall, using concrete infill behind.

I'm looking at using an angle grinder and a 230mm diamond abrasive disk to
cut them, but I'm not sure it would be up to the job. Also the disks seem
to vary in price from ten quid to hundreds.

Can anyone suggest a disk type/brand/supplier that would do this job.

Thanks, Steve

For such a lot of blocks, personally, I would use a stone cutter from a
hire shop with a diamond blade. I expect you will get through a lot of
abrasive disks and as thicker these will generally generate more dust.
Larger grinders are unwieldy IMO.

I used a 4" grinder to chase out (fairly soft) mortar to repoint a
sandstone wall to a depth of about 10mm over an area of 15m2 this took
about 15 4" abrasive discs (deliberately used as for their thickness
here), I was a little surprised that I needed that many (but not much).

The advantages of stone cutters over grinders were mentioned here
http://tinyurl.com/48l3b

HTH

Alex