Tim Downie

Default Acer laptop spares supplier wanted.

Ian Stirling wrote:

Oops, I hadn't fully read all the messages.
I have never heard of a generic socket that actually does plug into
the motherboard.
It seems unlikely for several reasons, but if it exists...

Oh it exists. I have it here in front of me. ;-)

I have often seen little sub-boards onto which the socket is soldered,
that then plug into the laptop motherboard, but these are always
specific to model.

The link to the molex site does not work, can you post the part
number you found?
(the link will stop working when the session times out)

Try this one: http://tinyurl.com/2xkfk.

It doesn't show an identical part I realise now that I can compare more
closely alas. I've just found the technical spec on
http://tinyurl.com/2pmv9 and it's definitely not right. :-(

I've had success ordering samples for molex parts for some things in
the past, I'll see if I can dig up the parts.

Do you have a picture of the broken part, and are there any visible
makers marks, or part numbers, or logos?

Again, alas no. It's just a nondescript beige bit of plastic. Have a look
at the picture I've just put up at
http://edinburghmarathon.50megs.com/photo2.html

Tim

--