Ian Stirling

Default Acer laptop spares supplier wanted.

In uk.d-i-y Tim Downie wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Tim Downie wrote:

I *enjoy* fixing things. Besides, I can't see a USB wifi adaptor
accepting a compact flash memory card.

If you have to ask what SMD rework gear is, you almost certainly are
not capable of repairing this, even if you can purchase the bare
socket.

*Please* read what I've written before coming over all pompous Ian. I'm
grateful for your input to this thread but if you'd read my posts you would
have seen that the existing socket simply plugs into the motherboard. No
soldering required.

Oops, I hadn't fully read all the messages.
I have never heard of a generic socket that actually does plug into
the motherboard.
It seems unlikely for several reasons, but if it exists...

I have often seen little sub-boards onto which the socket is soldered,
that then plug into the laptop motherboard, but these are always
specific to model.

The link to the molex site does not work, can you post the part
number you found?
(the link will stop working when the session times out)

I've had success ordering samples for molex parts for some things in
the past, I'll see if I can dig up the parts.

Do you have a picture of the broken part, and are there any visible
makers marks, or part numbers, or logos?