pyotr filipivich

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Ken Cutt
wrote back on Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:09:43 -0700 in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
pyotr filipivich wrote:
I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner
wrote back on Mon, 04 Apr 2005 06:37:04 GMT
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:50:28 -0700, Ken Cutt
wrote:

thank you for responding. I would like to straiten Al "shafts" used in
underwater spear fishing. The impact with the fish often causes the
shaft to bend. I beleive the avenue I wish to follow is annealing. As
far as grades I can not say because they vary. I have always wanted to
build one of these; Maybe designed to accomodate other types of metals
as well. Any suggestions or concerns? thank you. -Davey

Would the equipment they use to re straighten arrows work ? Pretty
common for archery , if so you might ask at a specialty store locally or
search on line . Luck
Ken Cutt

An arrow straightener is nothing more than two v blocks, a lever in
the center to apply force, and a dial indicator.

You can make a decent one in a couple hours start to finish.

A Drill Collar straightener is the same thing, only on a larger scale.

(Drill collars - 31 feet of SS, 4 to 8 inches in diameter, used by
drilling outfits for something. I just made 'em.)

tschus
pyotr

Collars were used to hold the drill bit from wandering so they can hit a
targeted location . Been a long time for me but I doubt it has changed .
Darned things were some heavy I remember that .

Clunk, the penny drops "Oh,yeah, now I see..."

Thanks. Like I said, I just made em for three months, never really
thought about it further.

Kind of like the story of the salesman who came into a shop, asked to
she the guy in charge, and while waiting, asked "so what do you make here?"
and when told "we make gears" he said "I thought you just bought them."

(Here's your sign.)

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.