Bob Simon

Default Power Circuit Board and Diodes

This weekend my wife and I were watching a DVD and suddently we heard
a pop and the TV went blank. I replaced the 1.6A fuse and immediately
blew another one. I tested all the diodes on the power board by
reversing ohmeter leads and found 5 or 6 good ones and 7 bad ones. Of
the bad ones, 4 are small and near the fuse so I assume they are a
rectifier bridge. Two others are up off the PCB and near a
transformer; one of these is larger and the other MUCH larger. The
7th one is small (like the first 4) and right next to a tiny chip.

1) Will a good diode ever test bad by this method as a result of still
being in the circuit? (I did not lift one leg for any of these
tests.)

2) If I remove the 7 diodes that tested bad, will a parts house be
able to identify the appropriate replacement from markings on the
diode itself?

3) If I successfully replace these without damaging any other
components, what is the likelyhood that all the other components are
ok? High? 50/50? Low?

PS, I know that DVD players are cheap these days but I like DIY
projects, plus I hate to throw stuff in the landfill if it can be
fixed without too much trouble or expense.

--
Bob Simon
remove both "x"s from domain for private replies