John Bachman

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:06:44 +1000, Bob Parker
wrote:

"Do Litlle Jr." wrote:

In saving time... that's where the Cap Wizard wins,
since its setup time is basically minimized...

"Thank God it's 5 PM, only 7 more working hours until bedtime."

Doug Jones' Cap Wizard's a great instrument. I've never heard a
single bad word about it, but plenty of praise.
All I'm saying is that any kind of ESR measurement saves an amazing
amount of time in a repair situation. Just ask Larry Dishman who
sometimes pops up here, who's been a fan of the Creative ESR meter for
20 years or more.

Bob is right, as usual. The most important feature of an ESR meter is
that one is on your bench. They all work, have different features,
strengths and weaknesses. Some of it is personal preference.

For years we carried both the DSE (Bob Parker's design) and the
Capacitor Wizard. When customers asked for a recommendation between
them I always said that it came down to personal preference for an
analog meter and a digital readout.

The Cap Wizard has the additional advantage of an audible beep which
allows you to keep your eyes on the unit under test and move along
from cap to cap. The DSE unit has a price advantage. Make your
choice.

The Cap Wizard is also sensitive to charged caps. The repair is not
hard but that is non-productive time. That is why we developed the
Savr circuit for it - lets the meter work but protects up to 400
volts.

John
The Electronic Repair Center at www.anatekcorp.com
Professional electronic repair discussion at
www.anatekcorp.com/elrepair/elrepair.htm