John Grossbohlin

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 02:00:50 GMT, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

The vendor claimed that you could run a thickness planer with no bag.

That has as much to do with (sharp) thickness planers making very
little dust and their shavings being quite large. Now try that trick
with it hooked to a bandsaw.

No argument there! I run a dust collector and air cleaner when using the
table saw, bandsaw, CMS, or doing any sanding (even hand sanding). The
jointer, thickness planer, drill press, and hollow chisel mortiser don't
require the air cleaner. The shaper... well, that depends on what I'm
cutting and what profile. Some shaper work makes a lot of dust and some
chips and others make very little dust and lots of chips. I don't do much
with my router table any more but it tended to be much like the shaper.

While this cyclone separator isn't as robust as the Onieda or Penn State
units it appears to be serviceable. I found out Sunday that a local vendor
is stocking them (Warren Cutlery -- also a stocking Fox dealer). The next
time I'm over near Warren Cutlery I'm going to stop in and ask Jim for a
demo...

John