Dave Chamberlain

mac davis wrote:
: On 4 Apr 2005 13:49:53 GMT, Dave Chamberlain wrote:

: I have a question and I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a
: bandsaw that was my father-in-law's.
:
: The brand is "CONTINENTAL ULTICUT" it's a 14". Which I'm assuming
: they do not make anymore, or at least various online searches couldn't
: help.
:
: Here's what's happening: The wheel protector, while not showing much
: age (no cracking, still pliable) seems to have lost it's love of life.
: It is tightly wrapped on the wheels when they are not in motion, however,
: while using the saw, the top one seems to shift and almost come off.
:
: If I take the panels off and turn on the machine, I can see that where
: the band is not touching, while the wheel is in motion, the protector
: is not touching the wheel.
:
: This just started this weekend, and I can't seem to find any replacement
: parts anyplace. Are all proectors for 14" going to be the same size?
: Does anyone know what became of CONTINENTAL ULTICUT?

: My guess would be that you mean the "tires"? (rubber-like bands that are on each
: wheel)

Those are them. I found an assembly diagram for another machine that had
called them "wheel protectors". Prior to that I was calling them
"those rubber things that go around the wheel" :-D

: measure the diameter of the wheels and call any saw shop, they should have a
: replacement for it..
: AFAIK, 14" saws have the same size wheels, as they all seem to take a 93 1/2"
: blade... (or 105" with riser block)

Thanks for the info, my father-in-law used to weld his own bands, so the
sizes I have are all a little off. One of the things that made me notice
the problem was that when the tire went over the rim, it was hitting the
cover and "burning rubber". A very distinct smell. Well, that and the fact
that it suddenly wasn't balanced anymore... But that let us find the problem
faster.

: mac

: Please remove splinters before emailing

--

-davec