On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:27:36 -0500, someone wrote:

How far out from the tree should the bypass
go? Is it going to work?

If you go around 3 sides of the tree too close to it, you will cut off
the roots and kill it anyway (worst of both worlds - did the work and
still lost the tree).

You would have to be as far out as the crown diameter of the tree to
be "safe" - you might "get away" with less depending on the health of
the tree, but I am sure not gonna go "out on a limb" for how close -
and I bet neither would any excavating contractor want to guarantee
the tree (at what value for example).

Best would be to entirely re-route the line (as someone else said)
then to try and go 3 sides around. I'd guess you have a sentimental
attachment to the tree, or else cut 'ere down!