Edwin Pawlowski

"Matt" wrote in message
I know the basics of Crosscutting vs. Ripping, etc.- but I can't see alot
of home hobbyists changing out blades between cuts.

Sometimes we do.

What I'm looking for is a some general advice on some all-purpose blades
for my 2 tools (teeth/brand/type, etc.) Some internet research has shown
me that there are some generally accepted VERY good blades out there
(Forrest?), but is putting a $125 blade on a $160 Craftsman miter saw (or
$70 blade on a $70 circular saw) going to make my life easier, or is this
a waste of $$$?

Putting a good blade on a saw is never a waste of money. You don't need to
buy a Forrest, but for the miter saw a good fine tooth crosscut blade will
give you much cleaner cuts. Freud has some good ones, as does Ridge Carbide
and Forrest. Figure about $50 and up.

As for the projects I am working on (and planning), I expect to be cutting
alot of 3/4" birch & oak faced plywood (some bookcases), moldings, etc.

For my purposes, I use a Freud Diablo 80T crosscut blade for plywood and I
get excellent results. I've also done some ripping with it but it is slower
that using a combo or rip blade. My "normal" blade is a Ridge Carbide
combination blade, but I will change it out for the Freud sometimes.
Ed