Dave Chamberlain

alexy wrote:
: Dave Chamberlain wrote:

: Here's what's happening: The wheel protector, while not showing much
: age (no cracking, still pliable) seems to have lost it's love of life.
: It is tightly wrapped on the wheels when they are not in motion, however,
: while using the saw, the top one seems to shift and almost come off.

: Just a matter of nomenclature he what you are calling "wheel
: protectors" are band saw tires.

Oops, sorry about that. The assembly diagram I found for a JET model
that looks pretty darn close called the wheel protectors. I'll start
calling them the right things now :-)

:
: If I take the panels off and turn on the machine, I can see that where
: the band is not touching, while the wheel is in motion, the protector
: is not touching the wheel.
:
: This just started this weekend, and I can't seem to find any replacement
: parts anyplace. Are all proectors for 14" going to be the same size?

: Well, 14" = 14". g I imagine that they could come in different
: widths, and there are rimmed and unrimmed, crowned and uncrowned
: wheels, but all 14" band saws that I am familiar with are copies of
: the Delta, so purchasing a pair of new urethane tires designated as
: being for delta 14" and clones might be a way to go. Buy from someone
: with good return policies in case they do not look right--these things
: are not cheap.

These tires come off fairly easily. The wheels have a slight rim on
them, maybe 1/8 high or so. The tires are flat.

: Does anyone know what became of CONTINENTAL ULTICUT?
: You might want to call Iturra Design at 1-888-722-7078 (that's the
: number for ordering their catalog, but I think it is actually answered
: by someone at Iturra, who knows what they are talking about). Get
: their catalog, and try asking about your saw when you call. They are
: about the most knowledgable about bandsaws that you will find.

Great! Thanks!

: Another web source is www.oldwwmachines.com. I didn't see anything
: there, but might be worth asking there, if they have any forums.

Excellent. I appreciate the help.

--

-davec