alexy

Dave Chamberlain wrote:

I have a question and I'm hoping someone here can help. I have a
bandsaw that was my father-in-law's.

The brand is "CONTINENTAL ULTICUT" it's a 14". Which I'm assuming
they do not make anymore, or at least various online searches couldn't
help.

Here's what's happening: The wheel protector, while not showing much
age (no cracking, still pliable) seems to have lost it's love of life.
It is tightly wrapped on the wheels when they are not in motion, however,
while using the saw, the top one seems to shift and almost come off.

Just a matter of nomenclature he what you are calling "wheel
protectors" are band saw tires.

If I take the panels off and turn on the machine, I can see that where
the band is not touching, while the wheel is in motion, the protector
is not touching the wheel.

This just started this weekend, and I can't seem to find any replacement
parts anyplace. Are all proectors for 14" going to be the same size?

Well, 14" = 14". g I imagine that they could come in different
widths, and there are rimmed and unrimmed, crowned and uncrowned
wheels, but all 14" band saws that I am familiar with are copies of
the Delta, so purchasing a pair of new urethane tires designated as
being for delta 14" and clones might be a way to go. Buy from someone
with good return policies in case they do not look right--these things
are not cheap.

Does anyone know what became of CONTINENTAL ULTICUT?

You might want to call Iturra Design at 1-888-722-7078 (that's the
number for ordering their catalog, but I think it is actually answered
by someone at Iturra, who knows what they are talking about). Get
their catalog, and try asking about your saw when you call. They are
about the most knowledgable about bandsaws that you will find.

Another web source is www.oldwwmachines.com. I didn't see anything
there, but might be worth asking there, if they have any forums.