Anna Kettle

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 18:29:09 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Sorry but as you've removed the ceiling anyway I'd seriously recommend
removing the joist and burning it and any other wood within 3 feet. I know
this sounds traumatic and expensive but the spores will be well spread
around and it's better to fix it all now than have to come back later. That
said if you've got the props and can do the work yourself joists aren't
expensive.

You are being too pessimistic "burning it and any other wood within 3
feet" is not necessary. The source of damp and any infected wood
should be removed and perhaps some poison should be spread in the
area. I wonder if extra long joist hangers are available for this
situation

Yes I know that several people have said all this already but I wrote
the message yesterday and failed to send it so you are getting belated
pearls of wisdom

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642