René

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:36:18 GMT, Newfdog
wrote:

About 30 years ago our neighbourhood Radio Shack was burned to the
ground in a large fire that also destroyed several other businesses.
While walking home from school one day I detoured through the wreckage
and discovered an amplifier with the knobs and cord burned off and the
case badly damaged. Took the thing home and cleaned it up and it fired
up with no problems at all. Still use it as an amp for the sound system
in my greenhouse.

Newfdog

In one of my previous jobs I serviced rented sound equipment.
Due to end of contract I received an amplifier that had serviced a
taylors shop.
The amp's PCB was covered with a thick layer of pins and needles that
-over the years- had fallen of the taylors table into the cooling grid
of the amp placed below said table. None of the pins managed to create
a short, the amp worked fine.

Another amp had been working for years in a greenhouse, also placed
strategically below a flower-pot-arranging table.
This time the PCB was covered in a fat layer of dirt, small weeds
actually growing amidst the electronic parts on the PCB.
Apart from a noisy volume potmeter, this amp worked OK as well.
(I guess plants really like music...)

--
- René