Patriarch

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in
nk.net:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Dave Jackson wrote:

I wonder what kind of improvement this thing is over just using the
trash can with the plastic lid for the two stage, like this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...&FamilyID=4310

Probably a considerable improvement. A true cyclone gets just about
everything except the super-fines.

The vendor claimed that you could run a thickness planer with no
bag... and that little dust would make it to the filter bags for other
uses. Claims that sound similar to other cyclone vendor's claims!

As concerns the design. I looked at the inside of the unit and it
doesn't look fundamentally different than the inside of a Oneida
cyclone. There is an inlet coming into the side of the cylinder near
the top and an outlet tube exiting the top that extends down into the
cylinder. The drop opening has a flange that is supposed to be
fastened to the trash can's top and sealed with silicone (obviously a
hole has to be cut in the top!).

John

With a sufficiently tall trash can, I get very similar results with my
plywood and PVC homebuilt. I think that was Andy's point as well.

My thinkness planer produces very little 'dust' either, but lots of
shavings. And my neighbor, with a 2 hp Oneida, runs without bags or
filters, ducting the exhaust out through the wall, 8' up. After 6
months, there was but a small dusting visible on the eave boards.

There is science. There is engineering. And there is marketing. And
there are practical matters. Sometimes they actually talk to one
another.

Patriarch