ScrubsFan

berkshire bill wrote:
I turned off the water supply to the toilet--or at least I THOUGHT I
did--as I want to flush it with a controlled (i.e., LIMITED) amount of
water. Then I started emptying water from the tank, thinking I'd only
leave about 1/3 or so, again just to make SURE it can't overflow if
there's really something blocking the drain. But as the water level in
the tank got down to a certain point, it started filling up again. Huh?!
How can it do that if I've turned the valve off?

I went to good toilet and tried the exact same motions--turning the valve
all the way to my right. Then I flushed it, flushed it again, and the
tank emptied almost all the way. Period. It didn't start refilling until
I started turning the valve to the left. So WHY is bad toilet refilling?
There's nothing else I can do--I've turned the valve as far to the right
as I can.

If you want a controlled flush all you have to do is fill a mop pail or five
gallon pail and pour it in the toilet bowl. Pour just a little, if it go's
down pour more. Closet valves are not the best or most reliable valves in
the world. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not closing.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I didn't mention that I'd already done
that--with mixed results. At first, the water would go down--I don't
mean the toilet would flush by pouring water into the bowl, I mean that
after some time it would have drained nearly empty. But then when I
tried it again, the water didn't go down at all, even after a couple of
days it hadn't dropped a bit. (I manually emptied it. Yuck.) So right
now I have an empty bowl and, as I said earlier, I want to do a
controlled flush.

Just a side note: My friend and neighbor, who happens to be a
contractor, just moved out of state. I relied on him to help whenever
something like this came up, and now I'm lost! When the toilet stopped
up and I realized I couldn't just pick up the phone and have him come
over, I nearly started crying. :-(