Default Heat Problems

Hi. I decided today to replace the old mercury thermostat with a new
digital one. I turned off the breaker, removed the the old one,
labelled all the wires, and installed the new one. When I attemped to
start the heat, nothing happened. After I rechecked my work, I
re-installed the original one. Now that does not work either.
Switching the fan to on and trying emergency heat does nothing as well.
My heating system consists of an outside york heat pump, an inside
york blower, and a hyrokinetic unit. The hydrokinetc unit appears to
working fine, as the pipes are too hot to touch and it kicked on a
little while ago. My assumption is something is wrong in the
connection between the thermostat and the blower or some part failed.
Can anyone provide any insight? Since its Saturday, I'm probably stuck
until Monday. Hope it doesn't get too cold. I have some qualified
help coming over tomorow, but maybe I can get some ideas of where to
look. Thanks.