berkshire bill

"ScrubsFan" wrote in message
nk.net...
I'm stumped! I have two IDENTICAL Kohler toilets; they're about 3 years
old. Let's call them "good toilet" and "bad toilet" since one is working
and the other is stopped up.

I tried plunging bad toilet, which didn't help. I tried liquid drain
unclogger (guaranteed to dissolve ANY organic material!--I guess we'll
see).

So now I want to flush it, but I'm afraid! Why? Because the toilet this
one replaced overflowed once...and flooded nearly my entire house before
it could be stopped. So I'm a bit gun shy.

I turned off the water supply to the toilet--or at least I THOUGHT I
did--as I want to flush it with a controlled (i.e., LIMITED) amount of
water. Then I started emptying water from the tank, thinking I'd only
leave about 1/3 or so, again just to make SURE it can't overflow if
there's really something blocking the drain. But as the water level in
the tank got down to a certain point, it started filling up again. Huh?!
How can it do that if I've turned the valve off?

I went to good toilet and tried the exact same motions--turning the valve
all the way to my right. Then I flushed it, flushed it again, and the
tank emptied almost all the way. Period. It didn't start refilling until
I started turning the valve to the left. So WHY is bad toilet refilling?
There's nothing else I can do--I've turned the valve as far to the right
as I can.

If you want a controlled flush all you have to do is fill a mop pail or five
gallon pail and pour it in the toilet bowl. Pour just a little, if it go's
down pour more. Closet valves are not the best or most reliable valves in
the world. I wouldn't be surprised if it's not closing.

Bill