Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
Roly wrote:
I want to make up some bent aluminium components.

The items will be 'U" shape brackets.

I intend to start with aluminium strip that's about 250mm long and 50mm
wide and then bend the last 50mm at each end to stand up at 90 deg.

You might find you can get 'U' section ally near enough for what you need.
And at 50mm wide, it wouldn't cost a fortune for offcuts. George King
Metals in Colliers Wood would be my first call if you're anywhere close -
they sell by weight and of course a cutting charge.

The thing I don't know is how thick can the strip be and still be
sensibly bent without special tools ? For my purposes, the thicker the
better as it needs to have holes tapped in it, but I still need to bend
the stuff.

I don't know exactly what grade it's going to be as it's just the ali
strip I get from my ironmonger.

As far as bending is concerned, I usually use an old Workmate with
angle iron as jaw protectors/strengtheners. I mark the bend point,
clamp it up, place a hardwood block against it and belt it with the
hammer ( 2kg ish ).

So my question is really three questions

What's the thickest 50mm wide strip that I'm likely to successfully
bend this way ?

Is there a better way of doing it without buying special tools ? I
assume that hot bending isn't appropriate for ali, neither is any form
of heat softening or hardening a practical proposition.

Annealing ally is easy. Wipe it with soap - the sort you clean your face
with - and heat it 'till the soap turns black. Then quench in water.

If all else fails, how much might I have to pay to get four items like
that made for me in 6mm thick strip ?

I'd first try to find suitable U section extruded. It's a delight to work
with. I use it for making up things that have to fit in a 19" bay, etc,
and it comes in various heights. I've not needed anything 250mm high, but
with a bit of luck...

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW