Patriarch

B a r r y wrote in
om:

Matt wrote:
Some internet research has shown me that there are
some generally accepted VERY good blades out there (Forrest?), but is
putting a $125 blade on a $160 Craftsman miter saw (or $70 blade on a
$70 circular saw) going to make my life easier, or is this a waste of
$$$?

Maybe, maybe not.

If you're getting splintering, burning, etc... A good blade wil
probably
help you. If the cuts aren't straight, ex:// the cut is curved from
top to bottom, you're dealing with runout. Good blades won't help
shaft runout or bad bearings.

Make sure your miter saw has a zero clearance fence and insert, and
that your putting the good side of the work where the blade is
entering the cut before buying a new blade.

That said, many stock miter saw and circular saw blades are crap.

The Chopmaster most likely WILL help the miter saw. Can you buy it
with a satisfaction guarantee?

If I may add a little bit to what Barry said:

A zero clearance fence and insert isn't some thing you need to buy. You
can make them from good 1/2" plywood or MDF. The idea is to support the
lower, or opposite face of the material being cut, right up as the blade
cuts the surface.

You can buy a Forrest, but you can also buy decent blades from Freud, or
DeWalt, at most home centers. I buy mine from the sharpening service in
town, because they almost always have what I need, even if I could only
verbalize the problem when I walked in there. The product is usually a
lesser known brand, with excellent quality, and virtually no consumer
marketing budget, which gets sold to pro shops for heavier use and lots
of resharpenings. It has always been a better value than the home
center or the woodworkers' specialty store. But they close at 5:30 pm,
and don't work most weekends.

Look to make a sawguide for that circular saw, and maybe budget $100 for
a new one as part of the project. And maybe pick up some rigid
insulation to put under the circular saw while you're doing your
cutting.

On the other hand, cabinet saws start at about $1250. No? Well, budget
for some decent pipe clamps at least.

$50 should buy you all the chop saw blade you need, and $20 should buy
you a very good circular saw blade, if you don't spring for a new saw.
(The HD brand Ridgid circ saw is supposed to be at least OK.)

Take pictures. Take notes. Continue to ask questions. Have fun.
Repeat.

Patriarch