toller

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
toller wrote:

"Mikepier" wrote in message
oups.com...

You can paint it.

As long as you clean the rust off first!

It might be easier to paint replacements. Rust removal is time consuming
and difficult. It just comes back in a year or two anyway.

I spent a few hours with a wire brush cleaning the rust off a boat hoist
three years ago, before repainting it. I didn't expect much, since it sits
in a lake all year long, but it is still rust free. (the part actually in
the water was aluminum, this is the gear housing.)

Replace or clean is question of whether you would rather spend the money or
the time. In my case I saved a lot of money.