geoff

Default Garage ceiling - what to use?

In message , Andy Hall
writes
On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:39:43 +0100, "Richard Sterry"
wrote:

I have a detached double garage, with an uninsulated roof decked with
chipboard (which is slowly disintegrating with age and damp) and covered in
ye olde 'tar and felt'.

There is a photo at http://www.sterry.org.uk/temp/garage_ceiling.jpg to give
you an idea of what I am talking about. You can also see some of the
aforementioned cables.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance, as they say.

I had a similar kind of scenario in a way, although my garage has a
pitched roof. I insulated next to the rafters and then created a
storage space by boarding over the tops of the joists with softwood
T&G.

From the underside it looks similar to your set up although the
joists are not quite as deep.

I kept the space and simply painted the boarding and joists in white.
You can then easily see any grot up there, but more to the point the
space is not wasted. You have about 250mm of height there which
could be used for storage, fitting lights,

Hanging motorbikes ...

--
geoff