Alan

In message , Broadback
wrote

If councils are still raising the same revenue from council tax, then
if, say, since the last valuation properties have double in value then
surely the band rates should double.

If the council can raise twice as much from the revaluation process
central government can reduce the amount they pay by the same amount.
It is only revenue neutral for the council.

Furthermore, if certain 'groups' have been promised smaller bills who
will have to make up the shortfall?

What annoys me is the vast amounts of money some councils waste. At a
cost of millions, Southend-on-Sea High Street was resurfaced in
expensive cobbles in artistic patterns. The unfriendly surface for
anyone with a disability and for anyone who is pushing children in a
buggy didn't last long. Transco dug it all up a few weeks later. It was
a planned activity to replace the main gas pipes that the council knew
about _before_ starting the refurbishment!

I walked down this recently refurbished street yesterday. The clock
commissioned for a vast sum of money to celebrated the turn of the
century was broken again, the cobbled surface resembled some off road
course suited to 4x4s rather than pedestrians and all the trendy 'floor
lights' were full of water. Money well spent
--
Alan