Mike

"Phil" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

We've just discovered some dry rot in the house whilst renovating the
en-suite (ground floor, in the extension, with a flat fibreglass
roof). We've knocked off
all the plaster and render from the block walls and plan to treat them
with some
cuprinol dry rot stuff, and we're replacing all the wood from the
room. However, when we took down the ceiling plasterboard, we found
that the rot had touched the ends of two of the joists (about 60cm
worth, from ends towards the middle).

As we've not long purchased the house, cash is kind of tight - we've
got access to
some acro-props if need be - can anyone recommend what the best thing
to do here is? We're edging towards splicing in two new joist ends.

Sorry but as you've removed the ceiling anyway I'd seriously recommend
removing the joist and burning it and any other wood within 3 feet. I know
this sounds traumatic and expensive but the spores will be well spread
around and it's better to fix it all now than have to come back later. That
said if you've got the props and can do the work yourself joists aren't
expensive.