mac davis

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 22:21:08 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

snip
yeah, we have a good ups on our 2 main computers and those will go
with us.. The way they're progressing in the area that we're building,
the power will be in before we start the first house..
The economy part comes in with the pricing of the electricity... since
the government controls the power, it's priced so that the Mexican
people can afford it, about 2 1/2 cents a kilowatt...
OTOH, after a fairly small amount of kilowatts, (the amount a middle
class Mexican family would use), the price goes WAY up....
For most of the folks we've talked to that have lived thee a while,
they seldom hit the higher rate, but none of them have a shop,
either..

At the risk of sending this thread completely down the toilet...

Has anyone investigated what it would take to run a shop off-grid? Say
with photovoltaic or similar? (No waterwheels or human powered pitsaws
considered, please.)

Patriarch

i doubt very much that this would be practical...
Harping on the Baja thing again, the 1st tract of homes on our "rancho" were in
a designated solar area... meaning that they would never get power..
Everyone thought that this would be very cool in Baja but the folks can't sell
their homes now (some only 1 or 2 years old) for near what they paid to build
them..
After $10,000 US for a solar system, the generator kicks in if you run the
microwave or a large hair dryer, so I can't see running any kind of power tool
off them..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing