SteveB

"Dave Sage" wrote in message
I recently purchased a Lincoln precision Tig 185. I want to learn how to
use it. Can anyone suggest a good book. I know you'll probably suggetst
taking a night school course. I tried that a while back but it was
cancelled. I'll probably look into that again soon but the one I looked
into was two nights a week for 10 weeks. With that schedule I'm not sure I
wouldn't miss a class or two which would be a shame.

Any suggestions apreciated

Thanks

Dave

Shorten your learning curve tremendously by finding a welder who will give
you some private lessons. See my post in sci.engr.joining.welding titled "A
Welding Story" for my comments on welding mentors.

If you can find someone who will teach you one on one, you can learn things
about 10x faster. Nothing substitutes for experience, and you WILL have to
"just do it" to get the hang. But, just like bowling, you improve fast at
first, then more slowly as you get better. You can get a lot of info from a
welder for a few bucks and a few beers.

Ask around at welding supply shops and other places. Ask around among
friends, because sometimes there is someone who knows how but just doesn't
weld much any more.

TIG ain't rocket surgery, but there are a few things you gotta get right to
get started.

If that fails, find a class, pay the money, and go every time. Classes are
a real steal because they let you use high quality machines, give you lots
of free practice materials, and USUALLY have good instructors. The two I
had were ex-Navy men, and really good men as well as welders. Some may want
you to be proficient at stick first, but get to know the instructor, and
tell him about your home tig. Most of the time, if you show talent and an
ability to listen and follow directions, they let you try the processes you
are interested in.

Most courses start off with OA (gas) welding. Seems like tinkertoys, but it
is ALMOST EXACTLY the same as TIG welding in principles, you just use a
different heat source, one being flame and the other being electric arc.
The principles, motions and movememts are identical. Don't be miffed if
they want you to do that first, because you will be able to take it straight
home and apply it to TIG.

Just some suggestions, like you asked for.

Steve