Andy Hall

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:18:17 GMT, Lobster
wrote:

It's been suggested that a (small) ping-pong table would be a good idea
for the kids; due to space constraints the proposal is to make a
table-top version which will sit on top of our (very sturdy) 6'x3'
dining table; the add-on will actually be 1880 x 1046 mm, ie slightly
overlap the underlying dining table in the same proportions as a
regulation table-tennis table.

The idea is to make this in two halves (ie cut along the net) which can
be removed easily to recreate a dining room at will; I was going to
attach lipping underneath around the edge to bear against the edge of
the dining table, to hold it in place. Top will be in 12mm thick board
I think (compromise between weight/durability/ball bounceability).

So, the question: what sort of board would I be best using? In real
money, we're talking two sheets approx 4'x3'. I'm thinking ply or MDF:
which would be best in terms of resistance to warping, given that it
will be used in a CH house and probably stored vertically in a garage
when not in use?

Thanks
David

I would use 18mm ply for this, because for the thickness it is quite a
bit lighter than MDF and will not tend to warp unless you lean things
against it.

I'd also suggest going to a timber merchant rather than DIY store and
get a better grade than the rough stuff that DIY places have. Quite
often the rough grades have blemishes and filled holes which obviously
you don't want.

In addition to the lipping to locate it on the table, I would also put
some around the edges of the ply to protect it a bit.

Where does the regulation size come from? It's an odd number even in
deprecated imperial units.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl