Owain

Nick Atty wrote:
I want to put a socket outside to plug our patio water feature into (gad
that horrible, still at least it's not decking!).
The proper way to do it is obviously to put an RCD protected spur in,
and a proper waterproof socket. But of course this would require Part
P hoops to be jumped through.

According to the IEE WIring Matters you can fix a light to the outside
of the house providing the connection inside isn't in a kitchen or
special location. I don't know if a socket has the same effect.

But, right near where I want it is a double socket we never use because
it's stuck behind furniture. This is protected by the whole house RCD,
but it would be nice to have a local one.

A local RCD will provide no discrimination, i.e. it will be a matter of
luck which trips first in the event of a fault.

In fact, getting silly, is it legal to take the plug off the pump, run
the flex through a hole in the wall and put the plug (or an RCD plug) on
and just plug it in inside when necessary?

Legal I think, and I think reasonably sensible. Use a short length of
plastic pipe to sleeve the flex through the wall.

Legally you could dig up the 3-phase supply in the street and tap into
it with nails, as suppliers works are outside the provisions of the IEE
Regs, let alone Part Pee, but I don't recommend it.

I don't know about others, but I'd be happier encouraging someone to
break the law than do something stupid. Why not do a proper job and just
forget exactly when it was done?

Owain