Ray L. Volts

There's also convenience. But as posted elsewhe I don't have the
faith in the longevity of the burnt DVDs as others have.

You guys are right to be concerned about that. For those not familiar with
pressed dvd "rot" and the exposure effects of various light sources on
recordable DVD's, check this out:

http://www.manifest-tech.com/media_d...patibility.htm

The page includes a link to the NIST data as well.

When NTSC is gone, HDTV playback (i.e., Blue Ray or whatever dominates)

will
the order of the day and the vast majority of viewers will want playback
that matches the capabilities of their new HDTV display. For this

reason,
expect today's DVD's to disappear in the not-too-distant future in favor

of
the newer, higher-density media.

**Technology is turning itself over daily. In fact, it's running us
over.

Yeah, it can seem that way. Display technology is constantly changing,
but the format itself hasn't undergone a major change since the introduction
of color decades ago. Once HDTV is the standard in the USA, consumers
shouldn't need to worry about having to replace their HDTV move collection
in favor of yet another new standard for quite some time, probably decades.

my sister bought Dad some Benny Hill.

I didn't know that was out on DVD. I'll have to see if I can find it. I
haven't seen the show in years, but it always cracked me up.