Proctologically Violated©®

Great links.

But, I'm curious about your comments on SS/chrome. SS is less stiff?? Not
the stuff I deal with, esp. tubing. Or sheet.
Chrome aids hardening? Then why is hardenable SS so rare?? I think a rel
recent development, as well.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
"James" wrote in message
Excellent info Ed.
Thanks.

The catalog sheet says Chrome Vanadium Alloy. It's not hardened but is
heat treatable.

That's probably 6150.

How would you compare the strength and elongation of your best guess on
the Chrome Vanadium to say 416 stainless?
Or can you point me to a website with that info? Not having much luck
finding specs on Chrome Vanadium

'No need to guess. Here are some sources that will tell you most of what
you
want to know about steels. They're worth saving for reference:

http://www.matweb.com/

http://www.efunda.com/materials/mate.../materials.cfm

http://www.howcogroup.com/guide/Mechanical/

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Campus/8262/

http://www.weldreality.com/HYSteels.htm (welding data)

http://www.suppliersonline.com/research/

http://www.sousacorp.com/TS-XRef1.htm (tool steel cross-reference)

http://www.cartech.com/common/frames...fti=na v_tlo1

(the Cartech site is a good one for your 416 question)

http://www.crucibleservice.com/datasheets/

These are the sources I often use to answer questions about specific
properties that come up here. Collectively, they'll handle about any
steel-properties question you're likely to encounter.

Also, there are some excellent knifemaking and blacksmithing sites that
have
lots of practical information. Some of the folks here who follow those
crafts can direct you to good sites.

As a minor aside, as you pick up the properties you're interested in,
don't
be surprised that chromium-containing alloys can be hardened quite a bit
more than you'd estimate from their carbon content. A little chromium
somehow interacts with the carbon to raise hardenability. That's true with
some other alloy ingredients, too. I used to know how they worked but I've
been out of the materials specialty for a long time.

--
Ed Huntress