Bob Morrison

In a previous post v says...
Well Bob you are a PE, but do you commonly work with lumber?

Yes. Most of my practice deals with light frame construction.

I recall
having bought 24' lumber and didn't think it was a big deal, my
understanding was that 24 foot was the longest standard size.
Nowadays it is usually finger jointed out of several shorter pieces.

I didn't say it was impossible, just that it is a little hard to find.
24-foot sticks are not something you can usually just go to the local
lumber yard and buy off the shelf.

Not to mention that 24-foot 2x12's will probably not be straight.

Finger jointed lumber has a lower allowable bending stress and should
not be used for members subject to flexure. A better choice is
engineered lumber from both a cost and quality point of view.

A typical spec might be 1-1/2 x 11-1/4 1.5E LSL as a replacement for
2x12's

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co