DaveR

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 12:26:57 -0500, "Eric Tonks"
etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote:

If your sump pump is set to turn on at less than an inch from the top, this
means that the gravel (if you have gravel) under the concrete is full of
water, and the water is saturating the concrete floor from below. If you
have a low area in the concrete floor the water will seep into this area as
it may be below your water level. Lower your turn on level so that it is at
least a couple or more inches below your concrete bottom, more if you have
the room. Your pump will run continuously for a few hours to a few days
draining the water from under your floor. It may and should slow down after
that.

Honestly I don't know the details of my installation since it was here
when I bought the house.

The pump is definitely set too high, as the well is filled to the top
before the pump turns on. Then when it does, it only empties the well
halfway. I seem to remember that it was different before; I am pretty
certain it used to drain nearly all the way to the bottom.

I also notice that the pump is shifting inside the well; it is not
fastened to the bottom. Again I don't remember if it was always like
this or if this is new.

The float is attached to a short wire that is attached to a clamp. How
do I lower the turn on level?

I need to be extra careful now because they're expecting more
torrential rains this weekend. I would love to adjust the pump now but
if I somehow render it inoperable, I'll be in lots of trouble...