Jeff

wrote in message
oups.com...
wrote:

On top of this, with the mains on and some lamps switched on or even
off, when I press the "T" button to test the RCD, nothing happens.
Shouldn't it trip itself? I'm thinking (hopefully) that I haven't

done
anything stupid, and that the RCD is in fact faulty out of the box.

Can

thats right.

But I would also rewire the new CU differently next time. Running a
whole house off an RCD is just asking for ongoing trouble.

If you can spring another £100 or so, your best bet is to:
1. use a split CU
2. put each power socket circuit on its own RCBO,
3. have the lights with no RCD anywhere
4. Use type C mcb for lights, not type b.

And if you have the opportunity, put the fridge freezer and boiler on a
circuit with no RCD.

I'm assuming you dont have TT system, if you do you'd need to add a
100mA time delay RCD in front of that CU configuration.

If you cant afford another penny, at least use a split CU with RCD only
covering things that need the RCD. Lights should not be on RCD, nor
immersion heater and cooker.

It must be a split CU as the RCD is 63 amp

Regards Jeff