John Rumm

Dave wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

"Parttime" wrote in message

But he's not the OP! Cummon, you knew about alt.test

You're making a wrong assumption.

Look, I 'm not going to upset any more people by takeing up more
bandwidth

It always amuses me when some one uses the term bandwidth on the internet.
The connection is serial and the data is on/off. So how can bandwidth be
used?

This one could run and run.... perhaps a new thread is in order.

Bandwidth, by its very description, would mean that more data, other
than ones and zeros could be transmitted along the telephone line.

And indeed it can and is (single symbol FSK modems went out years ago).

There are many radio amateurs looking into this ng who can back me up on
the description of bandwidth. So how did bandwidth get on the internet?

Much depends on your definition of bandwidth:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bandwidth

I expect that the original assumption that more bandwidth = more data
transfer capacity (al la Shannon) has evolved into a burring and re
appropriating of the term.

--
Cheers,

John.