Roger R

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger R wrote:
Most have the 'standard reversible ratchet head' but don't have the push
through drive. Classic Britool torque wrenches have the push through
drive but no ratchet action. As you say implementing the simple push
through drive feature looks like an economy too far, but maybe there is
a patent on the push through drive?

I was daft enough to think that when I switched the direction lever on
the standard ratchet head torque wrench the direction of the torque
action would change too. Of course it didn't and when tightening in the
reverse direction I began to realise the set torque must have been
exceeded. Then it dawned on me there was no torque indication in the
reverse direction. Fortunately nothing came amiss.

A Norbar has the standard ratchet action and a push through drive. They
may be slightly more expensive than some, but mine's survived some 25
years of abuse. ;-)

I've just had a look at the Norbar website and their products look the
business. They have a much wider range than other brands, ratchet, ratchet
with push through drive, bi-directional ratchets, and separate handles
supporting a range of plug in spanner ends.

This latter type would have been especially useful on a recent suspension
job on my 'Astra' car where the strut to lower arm ball joint is supposed to
be torqued up to a particular value but it is quite impossible to get in
with a conventional wrench. A spanner end wrench would do the job.

I've not seen any prices and don't imagine this quality comes cheap but if
they give service as long as yours has, the extra cost would be justified.

Roger