Mike Marlow

"Derrick" wrote in message
Making a guitar from watching it being made doesn't look too hard other

that
much attention to detail. The hardest part is getting the correct woods
thicknessed and sized right and the tone bars inside have complex shapes.
Anything less than perfect will effect sound. Doesn't look like a

beginners
project at all.

Good luck on your way to becoming a Luthier.

Look below at the OP - he doesn't want to make an accoustic guitar, he wants
to make a solid body bass guitar. Big difference. No issues with top board
supports, etc. Pretty much just a shaped slab of wood. Great project for a
first project.

-Mike-

"Glen" wrote in message
nk.net...
I am interested in making my own bass guitar (solid body), although I
don't know much about it. I know I have the woodworking skills and I
know the feel I like in a bass, but of much of fine detail of what would
make a good intrument (internal cuts and mechanisms, etc.), I am quite
ignorant. I started in two of my local libraries - and nothing. I
googled for books to order on the topic, but got a huge list, but I
don't know if any of them are worth a damn.

I know from past discussions that there are a few guitar makers here,
could one of you suggest a good book on the topic that I can either
order or get through inter-library loan?

TIA
Glen