markzoom

Andy Hall wrote in message . ..
On 31 Mar 2005 10:05:58 -0800, (markzoom)
wrote:

(s--p--o--n--i--x) wrote in message ...
On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:43:27 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

markzoom wrote:

Fortunately the place is in a free country that doesn't give a toss
about wussy wiring regulations and that doesn't have raids by a wiring
Gestapo. As for nails, one would think there'd be more chance of them

If your question was not about wiring regs, then what exactly did you
want to know?

Err, I think he asked whether there were any PRACTICAL reasons for not
doing so.

Exactly, you interpreted my words correctly.
Like I also said later, the wires would run IN the skirting board, not
behind it, since it would be a shallow box.

Actually your original post, and the subject used the word *behind*.

SInce this is a UK newsgroup, it's perfectly reasonable that your
question would refer to the common practice of a wooden skirting board
attached to the wall with nails or screws.

Fairly obviously the wiring standards are based on the same situation.
the reasons are real and practical, given the environment.

You've changed the game as the thread has proceeded, so it's rather
silly to moan now when you didn't provide all the information about
the situation, but just little pieces.

It all rather depends on what I find when I rip off the old board. If
there is a large enough gap between floorboards and plaster then
that's where the wires will go. I may or may not put steel strip in
front of it, it rather depends on availability since many things are
unobtainable on islands (and steel rusts pretty quick on them).

There is available various forms of skirting trunking system both here
and in other countries. Most, but not all is more suited to an
office or factory than a home. Although this involves running cables
within the band that would normally not be used by dint of the
standard if the cable were hidden behind the skirting; this is a
different situation.

Ah OK, thanks . I doubt it's obtainable there though, plastic wouldn't
look right in such a place either.

Another reason I don't want to attack the walls (apart from it being a
total shag) is because it is originally a stone house underneath and I
might end up trying to carve grooves into lava. Another alternative
might be to run conduit above the (squared) skirting board and put a
quarter round moulding above the rectangular conduit to make it
neater.
Mark K.