dusty

"FriscoSoxFan" wrote in
ups.com:

I just switched to 3 four foot T8 flourescents from 3 60 watt
incandescents in my garage. What a difference! I might just add 2 more.
However, there is a problem.

Due to my garage door opener having a permanently broken light, I fixed
the problem by putting a motion sensor switch on the incandescents. Car
pulls in, light goes on.

The motion sensor and the flourescents don't play well together. If I
use just the Off/On it works fine, but in Motion mode I get wierd
behavior.

Any thoughts?

1. Older and some newer motion sensors can not be used with fluorescent
lamps. It's stated on the package.
2. Solid state ballasts create a lot of line noise that affect other solid
state equipment adversely.
3. Fluorescent lights are not what they appear to be (on all the time) they
are actually flickering off and on a 60Hz rate. The motion sensor can see
this.
4. Try this, put an incandescent (regular light bulb) lamp near the motion
sensor so that it out shines the fluorescent lamps. If the motion sensor
is still flaky then you'll have to get a sensor rated for fluorescent
lamps.
Hope this helps
dusty